Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Isaiah Zagar and I, Philidelphia, PA 1/6/2010 @ 4:01pm AKA VID00050.MP4



I'm constantly trying to represent my trips and experiences through digital media, and I still haven't quite figured it out.

I'm fascinated by the concept of "home video." Some of our parents had 8mm or 16mm movie cameras and some faded pictures. Our parents made VHS tapes and boxes of saturated 4x6s. Our conception of how they/we lived back then are preserved in the aesthetic of these media. For a long time, I thought my grandparents lived in a black and white world. In some ways, they did.

How will our kids experience our pasts? On computers? We take thousands of pictures, but where do they all go? Will format changes and broken hard drives, images buried under long-forgotten, password-protected Facebook and Flickr accounts render memories themselves a thing of the past?

In the absence of reifying what was, will we revert back to an oral culture? Or will the Internet morph into a giant, collective photo album, making whose memories are whose indistinguishable and unimportant?

No comments:

Post a Comment